Re: [RC] Old Macs - Jennifer Judkins

I use Old Macs.  Been using them since November.  Here are my highlights...great protection, wear well (mine still look new), easy to put on and take off, easy to clean, etc.

They are not good on ICE, your horse is better off barefoot.  I'm working on ice studs for mine (in the last stages) and can report on that in a week or two.

Relatively easy to size.  Just take two measurements of the hoof and look up on a chart they supply or you can call with the measurements and they will size for you.  My horse has perfect feet and I have had no problems.  I have heard of problems with hooves that are long front to back and narrow side to side, but I believe they sell inserts to alleviate this problem.

I did wrap my horses bulbs with vet wrap the first time or two I used them, but I'm not sure it is absolutely necessary as we have since gone probably 200 miles in them without the wrapping.

They go well in water and amazingly do not collect all the sludge you get with the easy boots.

I like them quite abit.  As I said, the only problem I see is that they are not safe on ice.  In the Northeast, you don't ride in the winter if you can't handle alittle ice.  I talked to someone at the company two weeks ago and they told me they were actively working on an ice stud specifically for these boots.  More later.  Jennifer.

 TddWil@xxxxxxx wrote:

Please give any people that are planning on getting Old Macs some helpful hints. I really don't want to shoe anymore (I only shoe for rides) and have been doing most of my own trimming. How hard is it to find the right size? Do you wrap the pastern with vetwrap?
                                        Shelly

Do you Yahoo!?