Re: [RC] needle shy horse - Truman Prevatt

Come out and try your theory on the Jbird. He's proved three vets wrong so far. The only way we can do him is blinkers to keep him from seeing the vet at his hip, me at his head maybe with a carrot in my hand to distract him and the vet and I talking.

Then the vet can get it done. If the Jbird even sees a syring he is a rearing, twirling madman. I don't know what made him this way, he was that way when we got him at 5, but nothing and I mean we have tried everything has made any difference.

Truman

Susan Garlinghouse wrote:

Along with what Heidi said, speed and a diabolical air of innocence is
everything in injecting a needle-shy horse.  You can remove the needle from
the syringe, hold it firmly between two fingers and just slap it into the
pecs of the horse.  If they jump, fine.  Step back and let them.  If you use
a 1 1/2" 20 gauge needle, it won't fall out if you inserted it all the way
to the hub.  Once they settle down, attach the syringe and inject it
*quickly*.  You don't need to mess with pre-swabbing with alcohol (which is
99.9% for the owner's benefit, anyway), if the horse is really filthy, then
brush him down or wait until after a bath.  Local topical anesthetics IMO
just make the horse suspicious that something is about to happen, and owner
anticipation is usually the big giveaway, as Heidi said.  JUST DO IT.

Susan G