Re: [RC] Flooding - Truman Prevatt

We have been in a long term drought in the SE. I remember much more flooding when I was a kid. I remember in the
60's when the Ohio river almost closed down US 41 between Indiana and Kentucky. It was about an inch from crossing the road and it stayed like that for a month. The river must have been 20 feet above flood stage at that point. One of the reasons for the
creation of the TVA was to provide flood control for the Tennessee River ( and Cumberland River) valleys. Just think what this would have been like without the dams to slow and control the run off. I lived in Baltimore when Hurricane Agnes dumped 12
inched on rain in one day on the area.

In FL it is not unusual for us to get a thunderstorm in the summer that dumps 4 to 6 inches in a half an hour or to get 8 to 12 inches in a day. Spring time is tornado season and fall is hurricane season in the east. Just a fact of life.

Truman

Rides 2 Far wrote:

People says it's strange weather, but to me...for my lifetime, it's sort
of a return to normal. When I was a kid I remember having lots of these
floods. The kids at school thought I was crazy when I said I remembered
the river taking over our road. Now *they'll* remember it. I'm sure that
for those of you watching the weather channel it looks horrible, but
unless you have water coming in your front door (and those who do bought
their homes knowing it had in the past) it's really just a chance to
admire the power of nature.  Josie's friend who lives on the river was
giving her a play by play on the phone, "There goes the swingset...goodby
swingset".  As I went for a walk down my road last night as it was
turning dark I realized that over the course of my 2 mile walk, I never
stopped hearing the sound of rushing water. Every little ditch sounded
like a roaring mountain stream. The frogs along the ponds and the
crickets were a sharp contrast to the quiet of just a few weeks back. The
evening fog which usually hugs the contour of Lookout Creek was
everwhere, since Lookout Creek now includes all the fields on that side
of the road. The houses, which are built on knolls for just such an
occassion looked like lakefront property. It was strange to see the light
from their windows reflecting back from what *should* have been grass.

I think we're past the worst of the rain. There's a 40% chance for
scattered today, something like 30% Fri. & Sat. I doubt Asheville's much
different. Cold front coming in Sunday, hopefully not soon enough to have
lightning towards the end of the 100. Nice day Sunday for their awards.
Now that it's stopped torrential raining, constantly lightning, skies
aren't black, trees aren't whipping around...I'm starting to be wishful
that I could do go up there too. I guess we get to compete

I'm trying to be positive about this. Since all the gravel from my
driveway has washed away, I'm hopeful that all the gravel the forest
service put on my trail is too! :-))

Angie