[RC] re: needle shy horse - Teresa Van Hove

How do you restrain them so the would-be
  shot giver isn't struck, trampled or run over?
She is calm about everything else and I can have her stand calmly now as I
  slap my fist against her neck as though I were about to inject but let the
  real deal touch her and forget it!

Twitch! (many horses wont notice the needle when twitched)  The
'humane'
or clamp type twitches are easier to work with than the chain ones you
twist up -I- think (layperson's perspective.)   cross-tie, so the
horse
cant slam herself or a human into the post if you cant just have
someone
hold her.

We have one QH who will get 'fighting mad' about being poked with a
needle who, when twitched first, -and she trys pretty hard to avoid
getting twitched; just has a puzzled look on her face like "why did
you pinch my nose?" when we're done.  But from experience twitching is
much less effective if you try to skip it and poke them w/o getting
the job done before deciding to use the twitch.

Also I grabbed listerine last year to swab before injecting, as
couldn't find rubbing alcohol and "bundle of nerve endings" Grey
took his shot much better than normal.  I think the menthol helped
numb things.  I've heard that the sore throat spray is sposed to
help too.  (Grey is not 'needle shy' but acts like he's been
stabbed with a big nail when the needle is actually inserted,
and has bent more than one needle and has worked many needles
out of his neck before I got the vaccine in)

Cheers,
Teresa