From: "Heidi Smith" <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Shelley Kerr" <skerr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] vaccinations

From my point of view, the only statastics are from the vets that see
horses who are sick enough the owners take them to the vet.  What about all
the horses who only show suttle signs of being sick and are never seen by
vets?  The numbers and statistics I see are so inaccurate it's blatant!
Unless everyone took their horses in and had them ALL tested for west niles
to see who has the antibodies is the only way a  "somewhat accurate"
analysis could be published.

The statistics that one sees published regarding immune response to the
vaccine and efficacy rate (how well the vaccine actually protects) have
nothing whatsoever to do with horses vaccinated in the public sector or
reports back from private practitioners.  They are generated from test
vaccination groups in which ALL vaccinated horses are tested for an antibody
response, and a set portion of them are challenged with specific exposure to
the disease.  The main problem with the statistics is that such test groups
are only comprised of several hundred horses.  However, the math of
statistics involves predicting how accurate the rates from the sample are
apt to be when applied to a population at large, given how large the sample
group is.

Fort Dodge has had to show research on such test groups in order to even get
the vaccine on the market, and independent groups (I believe University of
Florida was one, and I'm sure there have been others) have done similar
independent studies.

The records that ARE generated from private practitioner reports are adverse
reaction rates--and these are not frequently published, but can be gotten
from manufacturers if one asks for them.  These are apt to only contain the
really bad reactions--anaphylaxis, etc.--as the mild ones do not tend to be
reported.  Still, the immediate adverse reactions are a completely different
sort of response by the body than the slower reactions that show up the next
day.  So the adverse reaction reports still have some value in understanding
how apt a drug or vaccine is to cause the former problem.

Heidi