Re: [RC] Fat or Carbs - Maggie Mieske

Lif asked me to post my feeding protocol around rides... not sure that I'm
"qualified" to answer but I will note that most of what I do has evolved
from advice in Susan's articles or posts or responses to my personal
questions.  She has been fabulous that way!!  READ HER STUFF... she KNOWS!
:)
Having and competing a stallion, at least THIS stallion has certainly been
different than feeding our geldings.  As Malik has matured, he has settled
down and keeping the weight on has become much easier.  Anyway, here is what
I've been doing that works for us (keeping in mind that I adjust or tweak
the diet or schedule or routine as it's needed):
I cut out the fat Thursday.  I go by Susan's information that what I feed my
horse on Thursday is what is in the hindgut on Saturday.  I also use
Thursday to tank up on lots of hay, wet beet pulp, etc.
I feed vegetable oil...it's actually cherry flavored which I have added to
my grain mix instead of molasses (not enough in that to slow up digestion).
The horses LOVE it (and so do I....I like to sneak some and add it into a
chocolate cake mix in place of regular veggie oil!).
I hate hauling oil along so I don't start it until we get back home again.
I actually don't feed a great amount of grain...maybe 5# a day.  I'll add a
couple of extra pounds and an extra half cup of oil if he works really hard.
Since I'm never sure when the weather is going to be accomodating for a good
conditioning ride, I don't cut out oil...I do wait and feed the bigger grain
meal AFTER we ride.  That's the one in which he receives his supplements
(which right now is a joint supp per Susan's recommendation, extra E/SE,
Quadra Fac, a probiotic and Sport Horse from Uckele).  We don't really ever
train really hard like I'm sure a lot of you have to...this particular
stallion keeps himself quite fit.  We do a lot of short, intense workouts,
speedplay (fartleks) and when we do the longer distances, it's usually a lot
of trotting though sometimes he just loves to gallop and gallop and gallop
and I'll let him go at an easy canter for a few miles as long as he's
behaving and not giving me a rough day and just doing it for the love of it
and not being naughty.  He has learned that if he collects himself nicely,
and doesn't toss his head around (too much) and isn't spooking or being
silly, I will let him do this.  And he does enjoy it.  We both do.  :)
Anyway!   On a day that looks like we'll be able to ride (and lately in
Michigan you NEVER know when that might be!!!  Arizona, here I come...maybe
New Mexico!!!), I'll feed him his smaller grain meal earlier in the day.
Maybe with some oil, maybe without if I think about it.  But we always end
up with a nice, big old slurry of grain and oil and carrots and apples at
the end of a good workout...he eats just as well at home as he does on
rides!  :)  Spoiled is what he is.  If I don't put carrots or apples in it,
I get the evil eye!!  :)
I do try to plan longer workouts where I can stop for water at a river or
stream or have Nelson leave a bucket in the bushes somewhere...often as not,
he won't want to drink anyway unless it's really hot or humid.  On a nice,
simply warm, non stressful weather type of day, he doesn't drink until we
get home.
This regimen has worked well for me...we won several BCs in LD his first
year out and in the last 3 years have slowly been getting stronger and
better and faster (won our first 50 BC last fall!)...our first ride is in 10
days at White River...I CAN'T WAIT!!!  :)  It's been a long, long winter
here!!!!!!
Maggie