Re: [RC] [RC] Seabiscuit - Bette Lamore

I have a funny story about the filming. I believe I already mentioned that I was to be an extra in the movie at Santa Anita along with my very outspoken reaL horsewoman friend. Well, moving prevented me from going but Gloria did not let them down ;-)
When the star Toby McGuire was riding, he was so afraid of horses that they had to tranq his horse and then they had a real problem trying to get the other horses to walk slow enough so that "Seabiscuit" did not look like a nag. Well, Toby's face was ash white as he passed Gloria (who had finagled her way to the first row by the second day of shooting)., She said to Toby, in a not very quiet voice, "Don't quit your day job!"
That's my friend! I have to assume they were able to edit this out but I'm going to watch carefully just in case :-)
Bette, who missed her chance at stardom!
PS I was just there filming the blind pony horse and I caught a ride to the starting gate with the starter and got to shoot the horses as they whizzed by--- WHAT A THRILL! As the starter said "It doesn't get any better than this!" (meanwhile, while I was videotaping, Gloria was betting and winning $190.00!!! ;-( )

Vallonelee@xxxxxxx wrote:
War Admiral was the name of the horse. He was the son of Man of War and a mare named Brushup. Seabiscuits clan joked that Seabiscuit would make a Rear Admiral out of War Admiral in the famous match race. And he did just that. A truly inspiring book on the courage of one horse and the faith that his owner, trainer and jockeys had in him. The newest version by Laura Hillenbrand is wonderful.

Lee (yes, I am a Seabiscuit fan and fanatic).

That which you have will one day fade into dust,
but that which you do for others will live on.

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)