[RC] [Guest] [RC] more about HOG WILD I & II - Ridecamp Guest

Kirsten Seyferth scatris@xxxxxxxxxxx

Scott, I can't believe you forgot to mention that this ride was attended by
TWO Standardbreds!!!!!  :-)))  First day your beautiful girlfriend, and on
the second day my "bitchy" mare, Annie. And both finished in great shape!
Otherwise I agree with everything you said :-)
This was Annie's (also known as Seventeen 'cause of her freezebrand) first
ride since last June and she acted like an idiot on the first couple miles.
Then I caught up with Sue Benson (or did Sue catch up with me? - can't
remember) and we stayed together all day. Sue and her gelding, Rocky, had
already finished the first day and wanted to take it easy, which was exactly
my plan, too. We had a good time together, traveling at an easy pace and
looking out for easter eggs. Sue proofed to be a real hunting expert, and we
both found eggs with prizes in them!
The trail was challenging and beautiful, but that has already been described
well by others.  There was a fair amount of climbing, and very good footing
throughout most of the trail. My mare wears a red ribbon in her tail for a
reason, and since she's on 24 turnout with my geldings at home, she's not
been wearing shoes anymore on her hind feet for the past 8 or so month.
That's also how I'm conditioning her, but for the 50 miles I figured I
should better put easy boots on. Hadn't checked my foam supply in a while
though, and sure enough there was barely enough left for one foot, which I
didn't notice until I got to camp. Levi (who has been shoeing my horses for
the past 4 or 5 years) had about the same amount left as I did, so I glued
the boots on with just enough to cover the sole... Well, I could have saved
the effort, foam and one boot, 'cause Annie lost both on the first part of
the ride. One boot was picked up by someone and carried back to camp (Thank
you, stranger!!!). We continued with bare hindfeet and by the end of the day
I could actually feel Annie being a little tender footed whenever she
stepped on small rocks. Guess what I did now today? (...order easy foam).
Other personal highlights on ride day were a fresh hamburger at the
lunch-stop, that was absolutely delicious (thanks, Levi!), finding an easter
egg with a voucher for a seasponge bag (perfect, cause I didn't have one
yet), and showing off the brand new LQ in my GN trailer. Unfortuately, I had
hit the blackwater valve when pulling out of our extremely steep driveway,
so no breaking-in-the-potty, but otherwise it was great to finally camp with
a little bit of luxury (some of you might still remember me sleeping in the
back of my Bronco).

Thanks to the Trail-Rite clan and all volunteeers for putting on a great
ride!

Kirsten
still in Topanga, but soon gone to the Northeast....