[RC] [Guest] Is there any code of ethics in endurance horse selling? - Ridecamp Guest

Mary Abbott mabbott@xxxxxxxxxxx

Someone wrote, "I think before you can cry about lack of ethics you should
answer some questions."  Cry?  Come on...  Let's be nice here...

I know something about this "horse sale" situation because I also inquired
about buying this horse a couple of months back.  The person who sold him
made it very clear to me that a good, long term home for this horse was of
utmost importance.  She ended up selling it to an endurance rider who had
contacted her ahead of me, whom she told me had promised to let her visit
and ride the horse whenever she wanted--and, would give her "free lifetime
passes" to all of its endurance events.  (I never quite understood that,
since the events are free to observers anyhow.) She was very excited that
this horse was off to a good home and a good life.  She definitely had the
impression this horse was going to a long-term situation, not off to be
tested out as a prospect. I am writing this because I think some people have
been rather hard on her this past week on Ride Camp.  (I tried to send a
post earlier but it didn't go through.)

I got into endurance because I thought it was an activity where people
really cared about their horses, not the buy 'em and sell 'em and get the
next best prospect for the show ring type thing, which I grew up around.
Fortunately, I think the majority of people in endurance DO CARE about their
horses and don't think of them as "deals" and a "business," terms used in
horse that comes along... or admitting that a horse you bought isn't the
right one for you.  It is important to find the right horse before you put
your heart and soul and A LOT of miles and time into it.  Therefore, someone
might go through a few "prospects." Unfortunately, though, it appears the
new owner did not call or contact the previous owner when her horse did not
work out, and this caused some grief and hard feelings.  In a case like
this, I would've thought the previous owner would've been contacted and
offered the horse for sale back (and if not, told why not), even if at a
higher cost, before the new ad was publicly posted.