From: Bob Morris <bobmorris@xxxxxxxx>
To: Stephanie E Caldwell <sec@xxxxxxxx>; Sullivan <greymare@xxxxxxx>;
Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 9:37 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] re: hobbling to saddle

Well Steph, I use the round pen to train horses but my
protocol does not include running then in the slightest.  I
have found that trotting a horse in a pen is simple, the
trick is to WALK the horse in the round pen. Every thing I
do is done initially at a walk. Only at later stages is a
trot allowed. All ground work and all mounted work is
started at a walk in the round pen.

Then, the round pen was suited to the minimal flat ground
that I have and it excludes all the other horses when I am
training. It is the only enclosure I have and works fine.
When training progresses out of the walk, slow trot stage,
then the hills are used and the brush and other natural
features become incorporated as training aids.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID