Re: [RC] [RC] Should I take on a boarder? - Laurie Durgin

I'll be following this too. I have a 4 stall,4h and added a roof that could be 2 more stalls or storage.I have 5 acres, but can literally go out the drive turn left and have hilly logging road, power line easements and trails to ride on about 2500 acres total. I have been thinking the same thing, but I have worked at barns and have a friend who runs a co-op barn. But there are insurance issues that make it expensive or risky. I think people said I could let someones horse stay here and they could decide to buy the hay, feed etc. and get around that. But my Insur. said they'd cancel me for boarding horses, though I could do things not for profit and be covered. Insurance I looked into ,and changing my homeowners would run a min. of 550$ more a year.
So making it cost effective is iffy at best.And then there is the issure of the "boarder from h---", or the "nutcase" and dealing with them. I think I'd want to get recomendations or it be someone I know.But it would be nice to have someone to ride with.
BTW I live NW of Atlanta, about 45min. from AL. border. (in case the ideal border,rider is out there). Laurie and RAscal

From: "Karen Casemier" <kcrazzmatazz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Should I take on a boarder?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 13:07:07 -0400

My husband and I built a nice little three-stall barn last summer. Right now, it is just my mare and his gelding - but we are trying to find a new home for his gelding (I've mentioned before that I had a serious riding accident on this horse - he has some behavioral issues and some physical problems).

After we figure out what to do with the gelding, we aren't sure what is next. My husband is currently applying to vet school, and neither of us think he is going to have much time to ride while he's in school. I don't think it would be fair for him to get another horse that would just sit there most of the time. And I work full time - I haven't done distance riding yet, but I imagine the amount of time I would spend working with and conditioning my own horse wouldn't leave a lot of time for a second one.

I could just get a donkey or pony for Mazzie, but I've been thinking of possibly looking for the right person to board with me. It's not an easy decision -- I really like my setup and I like the way I do things. I don't know how I would feel having to answer to someone else.

However, I would LOVE to find someone else interested in distance riding who I could condition with and attend rides with. I don't have a lot of experience (actually haven't done it yet!), so I would welcome either an experienced distance rider or someone else whose new to the sport that I could bounce ideas off of. My husband was going to do these things with me, but after our life-changing experience with my accident, he's decided to pursue his dream and I want him to feel free to devote himself to that.

I realize that this will work only if I find the right person. I'd like to hear from others of you that have small barns like mine who have done this - both sucessfully and unsuccessfully. And maybe give me some tips.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but just FYI, I'm located in Caledonia, MI if anyone knows of someone looking for a boarding situation.