[RC] Panacure purge on the "cheap" - superpat

> The 5-day DOUBLE dose of Panacur or Safeguard sounds
> expensive.

Hi Val,
I will save you the trouble of going to archives to find this:
and after you read the source for the Safeguard cattle wormer, this little bit of advice from Heidi may help:
Good luck....
Pat

"Regular dose is 2.3 ml per 100 lbs.  The "purge" dose is double that--4.6 ml per 100 lbs, daily, for five days.  So your 1000 lb ones would get 46 ml daily and your 850 lb ones would get 39 ml daily".

ridecamplist@xxxxxxxxxxx
> I found the Panacur Purge Power Pack and it contains 5 tubes, 57 gm each
> tube.  The standard tube is 25 gm.
>
> 1) Average healthy horse - Do I use the full 57 gm tube?  One 57 gm tube
> for each day of a 5 day period or do I only give 25gm of the tube?
>
> 2) Weanling / Yearling - What would be a safe doesage to do the purge?
>
> Thank You
>
> Liz Masters
> Hoover, Pistol, Bear, TBK, Belesemo Tango, Belesemo Disco and Little Miss
> Priss

Liz, on that you give one tube each day.  I just hope you didn't buy one for
each horse (looks like you have a few)

Like many aspects to the horse industry, prices are jacked up for horse
owners; compared to other livestock.
I am guessing you spend close to $50 to dose one  horse.

Last year, due to the explanation by Susan Garlinghouse, I found the exact
same ingredient in suspension
(fenbenzadole) under the name Safeguard cattle wormer.  I bought a 1,000 ml
bottle for $107.  This dosed 5 horses for the 5 day, double-dose purse.  So,
the exact same worming regimen cost approx $22 per horse, instead of $50. I
used a large syringe, and actually found syringing liquid down their throats
was much easier and effective than the paste!

American Livestock supply carries the Fenbenzadole in suspension for $107.99