From: "Heidi Smith" <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Spring Shots

Nope, you're not the Lone Ranger.  I NEVER give injections in the neck,
and
have treated more client vaccinations in the neck than I can shake a
stick
at.  Was taught by docs far wiser than I not to use the neck as a
vaccination site, because the muscles are in thin layers there separated
by
fascia (hence you can end up with less efficient utilization of the
vaccine
by the body), the fascial planes can lead infection down into the
thoracic
cavity from there, and there is no ventral drainage from the injection
site,
should the need arise.  Never mind the fact that a horse with a sore
neck
may well refuse to eat and drink, which can further exacerbate any
problems.

That said, I also try to avoid the large muscle on the top of the rump
as
well--contamination there can be REALLY nasty, due to lack of ventral
drainage.

Best injection site is the back of the thigh, and second best is the
pectoral muscles on the front of the chest.  So if you're worried about
getting your teeth kicked out, use the latter.

I'm so appalled by the fact that the neck seems to be the "standard"
injection site, even by veterinarians, and I've responded so often to
the
subject, that I was trying to politely sit on my hands this time....

Heidi