Fw: [RC] Jugging - Dot Wiggins

I find both of these statements valuable and informative.  While I would
much prefer not to have a horse that needed fluids post ride I know it can
happen even with careful riding.
I have heard several people discuss the option of IV versus tubing,  which
acted quicker, was easier, etc.
What has been the experience of other riders and vets with both??

TIA

Darolyn Butler said:

So while we're on the subject, let me share this with you newbies &
oldsters
too:   I will jug (even if it costs me), if I think the horse may be
fairly
dehydrated.  Helps them bounce back quicker, feel better, and possible
avert
some late appearing toxicity.  We've had horses finish apparently fine,
then
the next morning find elevated respiration/heartbeat, etc. & well on the
way
to a laminitis episode.  Fluids following the race may have made the
difference.  Frankly, I can't encourage riders enough to jug after any
ride
if  you have any doubts at all about the metabolic health of your horse.
I may be wrong about this, but it is my understanding from
an assortment of vets that every time you do jugular IV
fluids on a horse you risk scarring and permanent blockage
of the jugular vein (and when my horse had IV fluids after
20 MT last year my vet made a point of NOT drawing blood
from that side of her neck because the IV had made that vein
more "fragile" and he didn't want to be messing with it).

Question to the vets out there...just how likely is it that
a jugular IV will permanently block the vein?

And even if it doesn't permanently block the vein, what is
the effect of any scarring (it seems to me that there will
be at least a little scarring every time) that occurs.

kat
Orange County, Calif.