From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bossmare66@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 8:07 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Ground control shoes

Written by????

Interesting, I think the Ground Controls are GREAT!  I have never lost one,
they last forever (OD trail) and the traction is as good as a steel shoe on
slippery grass or mud, and the best I have ever had on the pavement and
rocks.

By Treese:
I used ground control on dozen horses I shoe for and two sets on my mare. They held up-some what. I did the Big Hill Blow out ride last year and that was a wet slippery ride, lots of up and down. There were three horses on the ride that had them, because I put them on. Two were in the 25 and one on the 50. My mare did fine in the 25, but the other two riders did not like them and felt they didn't help their horse, one fell from slipping on the mud. But the horses that were ridden a lot lasted one setting (5 to 6 weeks).
I liked them for the traction and protecting, but most of the other owners didn't like them at all. Said they were slippery over our wet conditions. It may have just been our area. The time I was using them was last year about this time and it was wet here in SW Missouri. It caused the horses to break the edges of their hooves and it appeared their hooves got mushy. I don't know if the hooves were getting a reaction from the rubber or what. It took about two more shoeings before any of these horses started to improve with the steel shoes. I found on the bigger hoofed horses it was worst. We have lots of rocks and uneven ground here. But on the smaller size  0 & 00 hooves did better. I really liked them on pavement, my mare could fly down the road and she never slipped. I have one lady that wished she could use them all around with her buggy horse, but his back hooves were too small to use the sizes available. She used steel with drill tac through the winter months, because the rubber was to slippery on the ice and snow. We had some trouble with rocks getting stuck in the small openings on the bottom. So I haven't used anymore since then and only one other owner wants to use them again, for her buggy horse. Any other input would be interesting. Later, Treese