[RC] Horses& Husbands - Lysane Cree

My partner and I have been together for five years and
he is about as non-horsey as they come. He came riding
with me once, seemed to enjoy it, but the next day
when his muscles were aching he thought he was going
to die.  And he swore never again. He discovered new
muscles that neither lacrosse or hockey had ever
awakened :) Then another time he came with me to watch
a horse show and it ended up being extremely hot and
humid July weather and the poison ivy he'd caught
itched like mad. Needless to say, that clinched it. No
more horses, horse shows, or horse anything for him. I
wish sometimes that he would go with me to
competitions when I see other husbands helping out
their wives, but I have come to accept that when it
comes to horses I'm on my own.
BUT he does take an interest in what I am up to and
will listen to my stories and ask questions, and
occasionally will drop by the barn for a few minutes.
And he'll help me out with some expenses when he can.
He also bought me a filly for Christmas, knowing that
I was so anxious to get another horse since finishing
bar school exams. I got to have the final say on
whether that was the one I wanted, but for a
non-horsey person he sure picked out a good one.
I am also planning to go to some shows this summer
with my filly, and I know he won't go, but then when I
get home he'll be glad to hear all about it. And thats
what counts for me - being able to blab on about it
and him smiling, knowing how happy I am to have a
horse in my life again (The year and a half without as
horse was torture). And since we each have our own
interests in different sports, well, we take the time
to do other things together - like make a point of
going out for supper together at least once a week, or
renting a movie and curling up on the couch together,
stuff like that, so that we're still making quality
time for each other. Otherwise, between the jobs, the
sports, the house cleaning and other related stuff,
the 2 dogs, my horse and the two fish tanks, things
can get pretty hectic. And we don't even have kids
yet!

Just my two cents...

Lysane

My husband and I were recently married (October)
and we have been together
for
4 years. Life is grand. He's my best friend in the
world and we have a lot
of
fun together. The only thing is that he is as
non-horsey as they come! I
love
riding and spending hours at the barn. My husband
does not! There are
several
other couples at the barn where I board and they
both come out and spend
time
at the barn together even if one of them is
non-horsey and is just
learning to
ride. I am looking forward to travelling to rides
and shows this summer
but I
don't think he will enjoy it much. I hate to drag
him along if he's not
going
to love it too.