Re: [RC] know it all ?? - Jackie

I raised 2 wild baby pigs in a 16' X 16' pen one time.
We got a lot of rain, and it stayed muddy.  One of my
neighbors threatened to turn me in because my pigs
were lying around in the mud!!!  Guess she didn't
realize that the pigs preferred the mud.  It is how
they keep cool.  I had a barrel with hay that they
could get in to sleep in and stay dry (but they didn't
want too.)

--- Bette Lamore <woa@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't feel bad, Jennifer
When Bunny injured himself and was laying in the
front pasture, we
fenced off the other horses and my husband slept
down there with him for
2 months until we moved him to the barn area (afraid
of coyotes
attacking him- I joined him for a few nights but I
was working as a
social worker for the Dept. of Children Services--
(short-lived to my
relief) and I needed sleep. Mark liked to listen to
Art Bell late at
night and I was afraid he'd be programming visions
of space ships
landing in my head!:-) Then there was the matter of
the air mattress
deflating every time Mark and I got up to turn over
the horse)
Anywho, we had pillows and foam padding under him
plus TONS of carrots,
apples and grapes to keep up his spirits and the
masseuses from Avila
Hot Springs Resort were coming and going, giving him
massages (and Mark,
too--- never me :-( ) In the midst of all that, the
sheriff's dept. kept
getting calls saying that we had a horse hobbled in
the field next to
the freeway and that we would not let him get up.
When the sheriffs
arrived the first time, they laughed when they saw
the situation and the
one sheriff said that we treated our horses better
than his wife treated
him!! They have to respond to EVERY call, by law, so
they would
apologize to us and chat a spell before leaving. You
won't be the first
one who does everything right for their horses and
gets turned in. The
sheriff's told us it happens all the time. Oh, we
were also "busted" for
our horses being in the rain---  rain in Southern CA
is hardly a
hardship. I told the Sheriffs to tell the callers
that they could invite
my critters into their living rooms any time with my
blessings.
Thank goodness we are no longer in such a visible
place where people
traveling at 75 mph can make instant judgments re:
the care of our horses!
Bette and Bunny, who is happily galloping now in our
backyard and is
doing GREAT!

jennifer a berger wrote:
So we went ahead and bought some property in
Ottawa IL and started to
build a house.  Before it was done, we took my
fathers horses and my
horse from Colorado.  We built the fence ourselves
( equimesh ).
However since our house was not built yet and we
did not have a well
yet, I hauled water in every other day for three
months till we got our
well done.  My father, who is not the wealthiest
man in the world
offered them to me after he learned hay that year
was going to be 9.00 a
bale.  I was happy to help after all one of the
horses is mine since I
was 11 years old.  I grain them every day and feed
them twice a day and
the always have water and shelter, we have been
very busy with our house
so we probably dont spend enough time with them,
but they are preety
happy being fat!!

ANYWAY, my neighbor who has never had a horse
before just got her first
horse.  We have been so busy with the house I have
not been able to talk
to her about him but he looks very cute.  I am
guessing she spent about
7to 10000 on the 3 acres of fence.  He will
definitly be well cared
for.  HOWEVER,  I believe she is the one who
called the Department of AG
and said I was not feeding my horses, they were so
hungry that they are
eating there own manure.  The Dept. of Ag. comes
out and discovers they
are all very fat.  He was very annoyed that he had
to come out, but he
says it happens all the time.    THEN my husband
and I goto breakfast
every Sunday morning,  so while we are gone she
must of come over and
fed my horses half a bale of hay because it was
gone when we came back.
OK so now I am very mad.  I go knock on her door
but of course she does
not answer.  I just cannot believe that I live
next to a fruit loop.  So
I put a camera on the hay, but of course she has
not been over.  So I
called the Dept of Ag and explaind and told them
since they wont give me
her name for sure, if the would call her and
explain to her the dangers
of feeding other peoples horses.  They said they
would,  the police said
I cannot press tresspassing charges unless I catch
her in the act.

Does any one have any other suggestions??

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number
of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."
(George Carlin)