[RC] headsetting part - Stephanie E Caldwell

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] headsetting

Karen, Sandy, Pat, Ed, etc...

(I'm going to get myself in trouble here...Please take this as it's meant and not personally!)

For the most part all of us here our horses have very good lives and we do not abuse them. We're caring horse owners whom are more knowledgeable than most other disciplines, but discussions like this are the main reason I quit riding competitively, until I found endurance, and gave up boarding to lease my own place and leave all the arguments behind.

The whole discussion started over Draw Reins, yes, they have their place. In the hands of most amatuers? Nope. I've seen horses abused with them often here. German Martingales, same thing... Mechanical Hacks... saw a guy bring a horse over backwards on him and break the horses jaw from sheer pressure of the hack. Bits... we all know these. My point is that anything and everything can be abused in the wrong hands. And, trainers that only go with one way of thinking and start all their horses a certain way are part of the problem.

The other portion of our problem here in America is that certain "looks" are popular. The look of the dressage horse, super collected, with the vertical face is en vogue this season, so all the dressage people rush out and buy draw reins, german martingales, and lunge gadgets and get their horse "in frame". Forget that his back and hocks can't handle it and he's lame in six months, he was in frame. The HJ people school their horses to death and ride them in all sorts of gadgets at home. I even knew one guy who put tacks on the tops of his jumps so that his horses would never hit a jump! Saddle seat people are the worlds worst about beatings and bit abuse... I rode there for almost a year, and I left crying just about everytime. Everybody want's their horse to look like Bonfire or Gem Twist or ???? saddle seat star when old Sparky can't ever do that.

I'm not a purist, I've owned and used my fair share of gadgets. My horse has a way of throwing them back in my face. Tie down and martingales? Good things to lean on so she can rear higher. German Lunge Martingale? She could still get her head up and hollow her back. It took me a year in a snaffle and lots of good lunge work and cavaletti to develop self carriage, no she doesn't have a good headset, but she carriers herself very well and steps under and flexes well. Isn't that all we want? Is there some endurance horse who "carries himself" properly that we're all going to flock to and make our horses look like them?

(climbing back into my hole with my flame retardant suit...)

Stephanie