From: Typef
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 2:49 PM
Subject: [RC] SCID testing

I'm posting this for my friend Liz:

I have an 8-year old Arabian mare whose dam is a SCID carrier.    I want to test my mare to see if she is a carrier (which would preclude me from breeding her).      The only resource I have found is a mail-order DNA test kit that sells for around $130.00   and which uses cheek cell scrapings as its source of genetic material.                    Ahoy, Ridecampers!       Does anybody have any other resources and/or information that tells me how accurate these tests are?    We are located in central California.        Thanks,       Liz Carey and  Basia princessbasia@xxxxxxxxx