Re: [RC] KHEMOSABI - Heidi Smith

Having seen him in person several times, I didn't
notice any glaring conformation faults, but he did not
have the substance that I like.  However, bred to the
right mares, his offspring/decendants often have
excellent substance.

That is the very point I was trying to make, Nicole, but I think you made it
better.  That seemed to be his primary problem (no surprise, as we also
fight lack of substance in some very excellent related lines as well), so
one does want to see what else is there.  His own pedigree was a mixed bag
for substance, so he certainly could produce it, bred right.  Or not, if
not.  I've seen both.  Again, no surprise in a stallion that bred so many
mares, either!

I didn't get to see him in person, but have seen multitudinous photos, and
am well acquainted with much of his pedigree.  Have also seen numerous
direct offspring in person, so have seen the lack of substance pass on as
well--in addition to having seen many in whom it didn't, who also had
substance elsewhere in their pedigrees, as you say.  That's the very sort of
scenario where knowing the details (both the positive and the
not-so-positive) of horses in the pedigree pays off--NO horse is perfect,
but knowing and being honest about their strengths and weaknesses helps one
both in knowing what direction to breed them to best effect, as well as
helping in selecting the offspring to carry on which exemplify the best
traits and minimize the less positive.  Criticism of a horse is not the same
thing as rejection of a horse--but rather an effort to help to identify
where a horse may need more help (in a training effort of an individual) or
to identify how the horse can be best used in making future generations.

Heidi