Re: [RC] what is the best dog to gueard horses? - RunRoskoRun

In a message dated 3/19/2003 11:20:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, gabi@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What is the best farm dog to guard horses against thieves at night, but
friendly or at least not agressive to visitors, (many children) during the
day

For theft prevention you want something that will make noise and wake up the neighborhood if something is out of sorts.  Sometimes your guardian breeds don't bark enough and just try to "handle" things on their own.  You want something that sounds the alert and keeps going until help arrives.  Any dog that will bark at strangers until you let them know its ok.  Mutt or purebred.  Another thought, I had a flock of geese in my pasture and sometimes they would alert before the dogs would that somebody getting too near to the property.

Good luck,

abigail