[RC] Convention - Laura Hayes

The convention was great.

Mike Tomlinson was elected President, Mike Maul, VP, and the rest of the
exec committee remained the same. The general session went smoothly, no real
problems, Jim addressed the issue of not getting a reply to his inquiries,
but there were no really tough issues due to the resolution of some during
the very civil 'hot topics' seminars held by John Parke.

The Hot Topics seminars, held at 7 AM on Fri and Sat were very productive,
and the 'dead horse' issue has evolved into a committee for "Equine Welfare"
to help prevent deaths and treatments.  I think I stuck my neck out and will
end up the NE representative on that committee.  I went to all the board
meetings, but couldn't stay for all the Sunday meeting as I had to get to
the airport with my ride (thanks Karen!)

I met tons of new people, tons of people that I only knew from RC, and lots
of old friends.  It was great.

For those of you who have never attended a board meeting, you need to do
that if possible.  I was disappointed that very few members came to those
held in Chatanooga where so many members where present on the grounds.  If
you are going to criticize or second guess the decisions of the board, you
need to see the overwhelming amount of discussion and thought that goes into
each decision.  Our board works very hard to do 'the right thing', and if
you are not happy with it - get involved - at least read the minutes and
make sure that your regional director, and the directors at large that you
voted for, are active and representative of your opinion.

Stepping off the box now.....

Laura Hayes  AERC#2741