Re: [RC] dead horse - Jim Holland

Agreed!  As I stated in my post, I am OPPOSED to this.  We need to just
worry about the horses that die AT rides in the rules. If we enforce the
collection of hard, detailed data from those, then hopefully we would be
able to institute rules and procedures which would better protect the
horse.  It's logical that this would reduce the number who die at HOME
as well.

What would make MORE sense is a rule that every rider whose horse is
just TREATED (not died) at a ride (even for lameness) will be given a
survey form, filled out by the Treatment Vet, as to how the horse was
treated to take with them, including things like "soak every nite", or
"give two bute at bedtime" and an envelope with the AERC "Logo" and
address. Spend a few bucks to make it "nice". This would be a "positive"
approach. The rider would then have this information to show their home
vet if the horse needed additional care. Have an area for a local vet to
fill out.

Have a statement on the form explaining WHY we need the info and that it
will be used to better care for ALL our horses, thank them in advance
for participating,  offer "contact info" for learning how to better care
for horses during a ride (a pointer to Stagg's info)thus providing an
"opportunity" for the rider to become more knowledgeable. Give a web
site link, offer education mailings, CD's, with a block to check if they
want AERC to contact them. Throw in a small "AERC Window Decal".
Emphasize "We CARE!" These are the people we need to reach....and we're
not doing enough. The treatment is identifying them for us and we are
not following up. A well written form and consistent followup would
demonstrate to our membership, and to other "groups" that AERC DOES have
an Equine Welfare Program. Crap, anybody could write one...just read
your junk mail solicitation! :) As someone in marketing once said, "We
need to learn how to tell someone to go to hell and have them look
forward to getting there".

ASK the rider to send it in within a certain period of time (15, 30,
whatever) with a couple of questions such as:

Horse OK?
Additional Treatment required?
 Local vet treatment underneath
Any long term impairment?
Etc...

I actually got such a form when Sunny pulled something in a bog...once!
I think you would be surprised at the response. We should track the
number of "treatment forms" so we know what percentage are being
returned. We would know how many were given out by the entry on the
Veterinary Post Ride Statistical Report listing. What we need to
"enforce" is our procedures at rides. We CAN do that by refusing
sanctions, auditing ride results info, etc. when they are NOT followed.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

Heidi Smith wrote:

That's a matter of opinion, and I respectfully disagree. On your own
property in private, yes. If you choose to participate in an Endurance
Ride sanctioned by AERC, you give up your right to privacy.....if you're
not willing to do that in order to provide valuable information that
contributes to the welfare of the horse, DON'T GO!

Yes, a rider gives up a degree of privacy by going to the ride.  But once
the horse is deemed healthy and released from the venue, there is NO WAY you
can enforce intrusion into that rider's privacy.  By all means ASK for
voluntary reporting, and make a big issue of it.  But the concept of
DEMANDING details what goes on at home for the next 2+ weeks is simply not
workable.  Your idealism is commendable--but Scott, Annie, etc. are right
that an unenforceable rule is worse than no rule at all.