RE: [RC] [RC] Trailering - Shelley Kerr

I had a mare that always rode backwards at a slight slant in a stock horse trailer.
I've always had a stock trailer and my horses learn how to lean on each other, walls, etc, to keep their balance.  A friend and I went to a ride and her horses were always hauled in a 2 horse straight load.  They moved around alot in my trailer.  I figured they were so used to their straight load and using the walls for balance, they didn't know how to keep their own balance in a bigger area.
I've also had to haul horses without being tied.  We went to pick up our horses from the pasture and neglected to take halters, so we had to load them and haul them without anything.  They figured it out and seemed to stay how we loaded them.  My daughters pony and another mare had a little discussion, but when the mare couldn't kick at the pony since she was too big to move around much, she decided the pony had the advantage and quit biting her.  We were rocking and rolling for a bit, but my husband was following and I figured if anything major was going on, he'd honk for me to stop.  They can be characters at times!
Shelley