Re: [RC] [DR] Motions before the BoD and member discussion - Jim Holland

Michael Maul wrote:

3.  To require rider and/or owners of horses, as a condition of
entry in AERC sanctioned rides, which die within 30 days after participation
in an AERC sanctioned endurance ride to waive any rights to hold treatment
records of the treating veterinarian confidential and which require the rider
and/or owners of any such horses which die within 30 days after participation
in an endurance ride to immediately give notice of the death to the AERC and
co-operate in it's investigative procedures.

There are multiple parts to this motion which you need to consider. Note
that although this item is not out of context, it is "related" to other
pieces. It could have be integrated and more specific.

*****************************************************************************A.
Horse fatality reports be required for fatalities for any horse which
has died within 30 days following an endurance ride in which that horse
was
entered.

This is redundant...we already have this procedure in place. AERC just
doesn't follow it.  The BoD has a history of changing or creating a rule
with procedures to be followed, then not enforcing it. Then they make
another rule with new procedures and don't enforce those either. That
why, after 20 years, we STILL do not have strong horse welfare rules and
procedures.

   B.  Horse fatality witness statements be submitted not only by the
head
ride veterinarian, but also the rider and/or owner and the ride manager
(at
least about general conditions of the ride as well as any relevant
direct
obervations of the ride manager) and be requested of the treating
veterinarian, and that appropriate forms for these statements be
prepared.

   C.  All witness statements collected by the AERC for purposes of
reporting on horse fatalities, including statements from the head
veterinarian, treating veterinarian, ride manager and rider and/or
owner, be
immediately transmitted to the AERC Veterinary Committee for its review,
but
otherwise be held in confidence; and

Huh? This is in conflict with II. below. Either we ARE confidential on
everything or we are not.  AERC needs to forget this "confidential"
crap. If a vet treats horse in your back yard, confidential applies.  At
an AERC ride, by default it can't be confidential...the only issue is
the NUMBER of people who know the details.  This is totally ridiculous.
The Iditarod, Australian Endurance, and NASCAR don't have this problem.
GET OVER IT!

   D.  The official Veterinary Committee report on any horse fatality
received by the Board be made available to members on request (with any
appropriate copying charge) and be published in Endurance News.

OK...GOOD IDEA!  However, WHAT is in the report to be printed in EN and
made available? Here is a "typical" report:

"The Veterinary Committee has reviewed the information concerning the
death of two horses at the xxxxx Ride on xxxx xx, 2002.  No specific
circumstances that may have lead to these deaths have been identified
therefore no information that may be helpful in preventing future deaths
has been found."

This is the biggest piece of crock I have ever read! Wannna see it? Look
me up Saturday morning at the General Session.

OK, John Parke...good idea, but be SPECIFIC as to what has to be IN that
Vet Report. Folks, take a look at your February Endurance News. (The one
with our hero Mike Maul on the front) Go to page 42.  There are TWO
PAGES on this protest regarding a rider misbehaving at an Endurance
Ride.  If the "Protest and Grievance Committee" can put out two pages on
a protest, then we need at least TEN pages on a horse death! Gimme a
break, folks! Note that John Parke wrote these findings.  Give us a
guideline, John! The Vet Committee needs some training! They just don't
get it! Look back over your EN BoD minutes. See if you can find ANY
place where the Veterinary Committee reported to the BoD on a horse
death. In fact, some members of the BOD Vet Committee have never even
SEEN all the Vet Committee Reports for 2002.

II.  The Legal Committee and Rules Committee be directed to develop any
appropriate rules to require rider and/or owners of horses, as a
condition of
entry in AERC sanctioned rides, which die within 30 days after
participation
in an AERC sanctioned endurance ride to waive any rights to hold
treatment
records of the treating veterinarian confidential and which require the
rider
and/or owners of any such horses which die within 30 days after
participation
in an endurance ride to immediately give notice of the death to the AERC
and
co-operate in it's investigative procedures.

Great!  But let's go with the Aussies and apply it to ANY invasive
treatment. And what happens if they don't? Again, SOS...pass a rule,
establish procedures, then don't enforce them. ANY time you pass a rule
or establish a procedure, you should STATE WITH THE RULE OR PROCEDURE
WHAT THE PENALTY IS FOR NON-COMPLIANCE! Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

From Australia: "We have a rule about invasive treatment that basically
says that if anything is stuck into a horse other than electrolytes by
mouth, any needle inserted into a horse for any reason what so ever,
that triggers what we call invasive treatment, and there is an extensive
documentation required for any horse that has invasive treatment at a
ride, and also any horse death also requires even more extensive
documentation, a post-mortem including pathology reports and the state
management committee then decides on the outcome for the rider and that
penalty is subject to review by the AERA in every case. It is very
unusual in Australia for horse deaths to be the result of over riding.
In recent history, the only case of this resulted in the rider concerned
having his membership removed for 10 years."

Damn glad SOMEBODY speaks for the horses!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic