[RC] New to group:Training young arabian - Ramspott.Kathy

Hi,
I have read and re read pretty much all postings and articles on the web
regarding training for endurance riding including the AERC handbook.  There
seem to be some different opinions and in some cases not much in terms of a
young and unconditioned horse.

I was wondering if anyone who has gone through this could give me their
opinion on whether this is too aggressive a training schedule or not.

Basics:
Just turned 5 yo egyptian mare, good body condition.  Is out 24/7 in the
pasture with a young arabian gelding so plenty of walking and playing all
day every day.  Resting heart rate is 31.  She is 15.1 hh

Ive done a year of confidence building to beable to ride where ever we can
so that once in training we can go for long enough periods.  Along power
lines, the road, trails.  A few trail rides and about 1/2 dozen dressage
lessons.  Pretty inconsistent.  She has never shown any lameness or swelling
so very very sound.  Been on consistent worming program.

What I plan on:

Starting at 2 miles walk/trot 3-4 days per week with a 10 mile walk only
ride on Sat or Sun.  Dressage lesson 1 per week in addition.

Increase 1 mile per week walk/trot not increasing speed, pretty much just
keep going until we are doing 10 miles in over an hour and a half, this
would be over a 2 month period.

Then stay at the 10 mile mark but start decreasing how long it takes
get down to 10 miles in 1 hour over a couple weeks
ride 10 mph for an hour 3 days a week for 2 more weeks

Do a 25 mile endurance ride.

That would mean going from current 2 miles up to a 25 mile ride within 3
months.   Is that too fast considering she is a young healthy arabian?  I
know her 'heart' could handle it I am mostly concerned with the whole
ligament and tendon issue with a young horse.  I want to eventually do 100
milers on her in a few years.

Kathy

The information transmitted is intended solely for the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of
or taking action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.