Re: [RC] [RC] Chronic Thrush - Shelley Kerr

That's very interesting.  I'll have to keep that in mind.  I have problems with the horses getting thrush (sometimes) in the winter.  Basically being confined and standing in their own mess.  And they aren't that confined.  They just like to stand where they poop and pee.  Go figure.  Nothing serious as far as the thrush.  Cleaning their hooves gets rid of it after things dry up.  I just notice it sometimes when I'm cleaning their hooves and notice the smell.  I've ridden a horse that had thrush bad.  I could smell it sitting on top of the horse.  Anyways, I'll get to the point.  We have a boarder that has hooves that are very straight up and down and boxy looking.  The lady who owns him can be real nice or very rude and I don't like to tell people what to do with their animals unless they ask.  Is this boxy, straight hoof from being contracted?  He's a big 16+ paint and as big around as up.
Shelley

-------Original Message-------

Date: Friday, March 07, 2003 04:32:14 AM
Subject: [RC] Chronic Thrush

I, too, had a problem with chronic thrush.  Nothing had changed with this horse.  He was kept in the same situation, his paddock and stall are cleaned daily.  The only difference was we changed farriers.  I would meticulously clean the afflicted hooves with hydrogen peroxide twice a day, apply the sticky, green thrush medicine.  This went on for over a year.  Finanlly, I looked at one of my horses feet and they were all wrong (not the one with the thrush).  No heels, toes way too long.  Turns out my farrier liked to make big feet smaller, and he was contracting everyones heels.  Thrush and contracted heels go hand in hand, so consider that maybe your farrier is contributing to your problem.  I was so mad when I realized that my farrier had caused the problem.  We switched farriers, and now over a year later, no more thrush and no contracted heels.

Carolyn Burgess