Re: [RC] Chronic Thrush - Karen Clanin

carolyn, the farrier we were using we have used for many years and he is one of the top farriers in this area.  we changed because we called and asked him to come by sooner than our 8 week appointment in order to get the frogs in this mare's feet trimmed out sooner so we could do a better job of cleaning her feet.  he didn't return the call for 2 weeks and then said he couldn't get by any earlier than the appointment which was still 10 days away, so we called in another farrier.  you are right that contracted heels can go hand in hand with thrush, the reason generally is that thrush will eat away at the frog making it smaller so the heels can come in.  it will be interesting to see if with the change in farriers how this progresses.

karen