Re: [RC] Husband and Wife Team Award - Joe Long

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:52:13 -0500, Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:

As I stated to Randy several weeks ago, if the husband
and wife are truely riding as a team, the mileage isn't
an issue at all.  It takes quite a bit of work and
sacrifice for both a husband and wife to both ride full
seasons.  I see this as the intent for the award... to
acknowledge those who are truely riding as a husband and
wife team... and not that the highest mileage rider's
spouse be automatically included.  Therefore, I don't see
any reason to change the qualifications at all.

I agree.  For someone to say they were "knocked out" of this award
because they didn't meet the mileage qualifications is like me
complaining that I was "knocked out" of the Junior Championship
because I'm over 16, or that I really deserved the Bill Stuckey award
even though I'm not 65.

At least if my wife and I want to compete for the Husband/Wife award,
we have the option of scheduling our rides so that we do qualify -- I
don't have that choice when it comes to the Junior Championship or
Bill Stuckey Award.

The bottom line is, when an award has qualifications of eligibility,
either you meet the qualifications, or you don't.  It doesn't make
sense to say that "I really should have won that award, I just didn't
meet the qualifications."

Now, if we feel that the current qualifications for H/W aren't working
they way we would like, of course we can change them.  There have been
a number of suggestions, including a simple minimum mileage for each
spouse (no ratio required), prorated points, and the like.  However, I
personally believe that it's just fine the way it is.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx