Re: [RC] losing shoes - Jon . Linderman

Ron,

I sympathize w/sudden shoe loss.  I think you have to find out how she is
losing her shoes.  One of our geldings truely "throws" his front shoes and
in the mud he will lose his front shoes.  Any sniff of rain & I try to make
sure hes in a fairly dry area.

On another gelding his loss of front shoes is overreaching in the back and
popping off his front shoes.  I think the cure for these 2 problesm is
different, and it been my experience that clips won't help  if he's over
reaching.  I was at my wits end last year both with overreaching and losing
shoes, and interference on a horse who'd had neither problem.  The ride
vet, who should be sainted long before she dies, and the ride farrier & I
worked under the light of truck headlights walking and trotting the shoe
popper along a path and watched his gait.  5 quick minutes of rasping toe
and he longer had either problem.  The next day he competed in pure slop &
came home w/4 snug shoes.

See if yo can give your farrier some insight into how shes losing 'em.

Jon

                     "Steven Proe"

                     <trails@xxxxxxxxx>           To:       "Ron Lerma"
<pieceofmind@xxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                     Sent by:                     cc:

                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx        Subject:  Re: [RC]   losing
shoes
                     durance.net

                     03/06/2003 01:53 PM

Hi Ron: Are you using clips on your shoes? If not this will help a great
deal, lose any long trailers which you may have on your shoes. You should
make sure your rear hoofs are squared off.
HTH
Steven Proe