Re: [RC] OT the War Prayer - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

The site was probably put together by one or more of the many Americans who question the honesty and the motives of those currently in power in the US in sending your husbands and sons and daughters to kill and possibly be killed by other people. While everyone can say that they don't want war, we have been sitting here watching and waiting helplessly while we watch our economies shrivel and our people lose their jobs. We also don't want to see a war. Just yesterday I was sitting in traffic in Cairo for about 2 hours surrounded by hundreds of buses of workers and students who had chartered the buses to come into Cairo Stadium to demonstrate for peace....Not against the US, but for peace. It was exactly the sort of position that we as wardens at the Canadian embassy tell our expatriates not to get into. Was I glad was in a locally registered car? Yes. Was I glad that my hair was grey and I was dressed for the business meeting that I was late for? Yes. Was it a peaceful demonstration? Yes again. But I had two hours to look at the faces of the young and the old who felt it important to come from the provinces to try to show the world that Egypt really doesn't want a war. Was this covered by any international press? No. I looked everywhere. Talking to people like myself who were in the area during the rally, there were at least about a half million people out in a biting wind trying to show their wish for peace.

You're right, Debby. We all are affected in some way or another, and most definitely some of us more than others. Whatever happens, whoever is fighting against whoever, it will be men, women and children who will be injured, killed, orphaned, made homeless, damaged in whatever way...whether through military action or coincidentally like all the sufferers of the Gulf War Syndrome....on both sides they are human beings. They are all someone's father or mother, brother or sister, son or daughter. That's what war is.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
www.ratbusters.net
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." --Leonardo da Vinci