Re: [RC] Husband/Wife award motion - Joe Long

The motion should be more clear, and should include the entire awards
description rather than just the proposed new wording. I'll see if I can get
that corrected for the meeting so that at least the intent is clear.

If we are going to pro-rate points rather than only have those where
each spouse rode at least 1/3 of the total miles eligible, the rule
must specify HOW the points are to be pro-rated.  Do you discard the
points from the last ride(s) in the ride season for the spouse who
rode fartherest, until the mileage ratio is met?  Do you "discard" the
points from the earliest ride(s) in the ride season for the spouse who
rode fartherest, until the mileage ratio is met?  Do you "discard" the
points from those rides having the fewest points for the spouse who
rode fartherest, until the mileage ratio is met?

Or, do you use a mathematical formula to adjust down the points of the
spouse who  rode fartherest?  If so, what formula?

One possibility is, "The total points for the team consists of the
total points earned by the spouse who rode the fewer miles, plus the
total points earned by the spouse who rode the greater miles
multiplied by twice the miles of the spouse who rode the fewer miles
divided by the miles of the spouse who rode the greater miles."

For example, "H" rode 485 miles and earned 920 points.  "W" rode 1135
miels and earned 2430 points.

920+(2430*(2*485/1135)) = 2997

or

485*2 = 970 miles
2430*970/1135 = 2077 points.
920+2077 = 2997 points for the H/W award.

Unless this is specified, clearly and unambiguously, in the rule,
there will be disagreement and controversy when it is applied.