[RC] To Breed or Not? - Kat Forst

Well, I see everyone has pretty much put in their 2 cents worth.  And I agree with everyone!  Yes, I consider myself a 'hobby' breeder, no I don't always breed to fad stallions, yes I own one, yes I keep the babies, and yes I sell them, no I don't breed for specific disciplines, yes I breed for atheletic ability. Blah Blah, I love my babies and they love me!  If I do sell one, it's because they are better suited doing something that I don't.

Example, I bought a QH mare, she's unregistered and someone breed her to a QH stallion. Why I don't know.  She isn't very 'pretty' in the face, she's big and stubborn.  I bought her because no body else would, and I saw her potential.  In NW TN people want fast cow, barrel, etc horses, not you steady paced endurance horse. That's why I bought her.  She doesn't have the 'look at me' attitude that everyone wants in the ring.  She does however have a great steady plodding that gives her great 'gas mileage'. It's possible that she has some draft in her too.

I'm working with her to get her up to gear, in shape, and used to people again.  I am trying to sell her, since I really didn't need her, and won't spend the time I should with her.  I just tried to give her some hope.  She will make a great endurance horse or just a backyard kids horse.  Her size makes that last one difficult though, she stands a good 16hh!

The point of that story was that YES I understand bad breeding. Apparently the guy that had her thought he would get more money if she was in foal!  In my opinion though, if you take the time to make it as perfect as you can, find that mare that has everything you could want, find the stallion that will compliment that, and then pray to whatever god you worship that you don't get a botch case. (and if your interested, check out my stallion! :) )

Good luck, and most importantly, - Don't listen to a word anyone tells you!  Just do what you feel is right! (but don't be bull-headed like my dad!) Ok that's another story!

Kat d. Forst

Night Star Arabians

Do you Yahoo!?