Re: Re: [RC] To breed or not to breed - A. Perez

In answers to Kat's excellent questions:
1. Are you prepared to take care of a newborn foal? It's not
something everyone has the time, patience or resources to do.
No, you don't have to have a fancy foaling stall, and no the
mare won't necessarily need extra special care, but yes, there
is still more to it than just buying a yearling for example.

I would send the mare to a laying-in farm, as I work full time
and would not want to have her foal un-attended.  After the
foal was 1 - 2 months, would board where my gelding is
currenlty field baorded (wouldneed to verify with owner of they
take foals first).

2. Will you be able to halter break, train, etc, or have the
money to pay someone else to do it? This isn't very hard, but
it does take a LOT of patience and time. There is nothing worse
than a half wild horse that can't lead!

Yes, I'd do it myself: something I have laways wanted to do.
I have worked with greenhorses, though not foals.

3.  Are you O.K. with not riding your mare as hard as you
normally would?  I ride mine up until a week or two before they
foal. However I only weigh 130, and don't 'work' them so much
as just casually ride them around a bit to keep them in
practise and in shape.  The question of how long you can ride
them is something that can only be answered after each
individual mare is considered.  Mine do fine, but a friend of
mine couldn't ride her's at all after only 4mths.  And yes, I
have ridden mine all over with the foal at foot, just be sure
to get out of the way when baby's hungry! Mine have tried to
eat my foot before! Lol, just swing your leg over the saddle
horn and wait till he's full!  Don't worry about ties when they
are really young, they won't go far from mom.  It is great
practice though, once you start halter training.

I don't do that much 'hard' riding now.

4. Are you completely sure that your mare has the qualities to
make a good mommy, and produce a good foal?  There are all too
many horses out there that just shouldn't be breed. Passing on
bad conformation, health problems, etc is just not what we need!

I do not have a mare currently, would buy one specifically with
breeding in mind.

5.  Have you looked for the perfect stallion?  There are so
many out there now, with people wanting to make an easy dollar,
that they will try to stud out just about anything!  My
stallion was one of the VERY few colts that didn't get gelded
from the place where I bought him.  Make sure that you don't
sacrifice quality for the price, there are plenty of cheaper
stud fees for perfectly good horses. If you don't find what you
are looking for, then wait, or put our the extra cash for the
one you REALLY want.

I have seen several stallions I like, and AI makes many
available.

6.  Can you wait until it's really time to start the foal?  I
know you'll want to start riding it as soon as it looks big
enough, but wait.  With Arabians, they don't quite knitting
their bones until they are at least 3.  So you can't start them
under saddle until then, even after that, it is strongly
advised that you don't ride in excess until they are 4 or 5.  I
don't know what type of horse you have, but they all start at
different ages, check on it, and make sure you can wait! There
is nothing worse than a 6 yr old sway back.

Not a problem... I'd have the mare to ride in the meantime, and
I am a BIG believer in letting a horse mature before
breaking... OR breeding - I am HORRIFIED to see how many 2-year-
old mares-in-foal are on the market!

I can't think of any more right off the top of my head, but to
sum it all up: Don't jump into it! And if you think you can do
it, good for you!  I think it is one of the most fun things you
can do.

Luck with it all!

Kat d. Forst

Night Star Arabians