[RC] To breed or not to breed - Kat Forst

In my opinion breeding is just like having your own baby.  You don't know what you are going to get, and you should always expect it will cost more than what they tell you! However, I'm all for it!  It's a very exciting experience, waiting to see what the new one will look like, act like, etc.  Don't rush into it though, you need to ask yourself some VERY important questions:

1. Are you prepared to take care of a newborn foal? It's not something everyone has the time, patience or resources to do.  No, you don't have to have a fancy foaling stall, and no the mare won't necessarily need extra special care, but yes, there is still more to it than just buying a yearling for example.

2. Will you be able to halter break, train, etc, or have the money to pay someone else to do it? This isn't very hard, but it does take a LOT of patience and time. There is nothing worse than a half wild horse that can't lead!

3.  Are you O.K. with not riding your mare as hard as you normally would?  I ride mine up until a week or two before they foal. However I only weigh 130, and don't 'work' them so much as just casually ride them around a bit to keep them in practise and in shape.  The question of how long you can ride them is something that can only be answered after each individual mare is considered.  Mine do fine, but a friend of mine couldn't ride her's at all after only 4mths.  And yes, I have ridden mine all over with the foal at foot, just be sure to get out of the way when baby's hungry! Mine have tried to eat my foot before! Lol, just swing your leg over the saddle horn and wait till he's full!  Don't worry about ties when they are really young, they won't go far from mom.  It is great practice though, once you start halter training.

4. Are you completely sure that your mare has the qualities to make a good mommy, and produce a good foal?  There are all too many horses out there that just shouldn't be breed. Passing on bad conformation, health problems, etc is just not what we need!

5.  Have you looked for the perfect stallion?  There are so many out there now, with people wanting to make an easy dollar, that they will try to stud out just about anything!  My stallion was one of the VERY few colts that didn't get gelded from the place where I bought him.  Make sure that you don't sacrifice quality for the price, there are plenty of cheaper stud fees for perfectly good horses. If you don't find what you are looking for, then wait, or put our the extra cash for the one you REALLY want.

6.  Can you wait until it's really time to start the foal?  I know you'll want to start riding it as soon as it looks big enough, but wait.  With Arabians, they don't quite knitting their bones until they are at least 3.  So you can't start them under saddle until then, even after that, it is strongly advised that you don't ride in excess until they are 4 or 5.  I don't know what type of horse you have, but they all start at different ages, check on it, and make sure you can wait! There is nothing worse than a 6 yr old sway back.

I can't think of any more right off the top of my head, but to sum it all up: Don't jump into it! And if you think you can do it, good for you!  I think it is one of the most fun things you can do.

Luck with it all!

Kat d. Forst

Night Star Arabians

Do you Yahoo!?