Re: [RC] [RC] horses won't drink - Shelley Kerr

I had a clicker also and looked for it but must have misplaced it or thrown it away. A long time ago I bought the clicker training book and tried to do it on a different horse. It was a catastrophe, so bagged it. After watching the "on target" video, it gave me a better insight as to how to accomplish the task and how it worked. I am sold so am going to start incorporating it into all my training. I don't believe it can be the only type of training you use, but it is a big motivator for those horses that are ALWAYS hungry. The ol' cowboy days are definitely gone.
Shelley

-------Original Message-------

Date: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 09:21:53 AM
To: Typef
Subject: Re: [RC] horses won't drink

On the other hand, the trainer I use and like so much uses carrots all the time.  For example, if a horse is one of those that cannot stand to be left by a buddy horse by so much as 50 feet, she pulls out a carrot to draw the horse's attention to HER, not the buddy horse.  Gradually, over a period of time and lots of rides with another person on another horse, she overcame her mount's fear of being left behind.  She keeps a pocket full of carrots with her on every training ride.  On principle it seems like a bad idea, but in practice it works very well.

Barbara McCrary