Re: [RC] Equine Fatility Reporting Motion. - Jim Holland

John...

The motion by Randy appears to be just a "piece" of Duane's motion. How
would a reader know that ALL of Duane's proposal was approved by the
board? The minutes are very confusing, sometimes incomplete, and
occassionally out of context. Just not that easy...the more I read, them
more confused I become. I assumed upon reading this that ONLY RANDY'S
one sentence change to AERC Rule 2.1.8 was approved.

Was Duane's entire motion approved? Where was that stated in the
minutes?

I liked Duane's motion.  If in fact it WAS passed in it's entirity, you
are correct.  All we need to do is refine it.

One missing piece is addressing the "confidentiality" issue. My interest
in this issue started when I wanted to do a little study of my own on
why there were so FEW horse deaths in the SE and so MANY (IMO)in the
rest of AERC. Apparently no one else was doing one. When I found out
that AERC had NO data, and had no rule in place to collect any I just
couldn't believe it!

Another missing piece is enforcement...what happens if AERC does NOT
receive the information as required by the the rules? Sanctions? Forty
lashes with dental floss? This part should be CLEARLY stated in the
rules...to make sure we get the information requested accurately and
consistently and that the Vet Committee doesn't have to resort to
begging, pleading, and praying for reports every time we have an
incident. IMHO, this is a CRITICAL piece. Rules are of no value if there
is no penalty for breaking them. Might also be a deterrent...

I don't care who the rider was, his horse's name, or the Vet's name.
However, you can't study cause and effect and reach conclusions without
details...facts, statements, and opinions from those involved and those
present. In addition, you need physical paramameters like the number of
vet checks, how far between checks, how much water was available and
where, etc. A Vet Committee report containing conclusions without
supporting data is unacceptable. This current procedures allow the Vet
Committee to "play God" with all issues concerning horse welfare,
treatment, and deaths and provides no information to the membership OR
the BoD that would encourage reform. The BoD...and the members...are out
of the loop. It also conveniently allows the BoD to ignore this
distasteful issue by just letting the Vet Committee "handle" it.

Facts can only help. It would be interesting to email every rider who
attended a specific ride where a horse died and ask them for their
"version" of what happened and why.  Probably get a different story from
most of them. Failure to publicize an accurate analysis of a death based
on the facts is unfair to riders, horses, Vets, and ride managment,
since it encourages speculation and unfounded accusations and
discourages adoption of appropriate changes needed for the welfare of
the horse.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

"John A. Teeter" wrote:

The following are from the Nov 2, 2001 and Nov 3, 2001 board meetings.
Basically, The rules committee on Nov 2 moved to modify the rules, requiring
a fatality report, and Nov 3 a motion from the vet committee was approved to
define the procedure to accomodate the new rule.

If you look at the minutes for 11/03/2001, it looks like this may have been
sent back to the rules committee, But it was really, approved unanimously
(as indicated by an ammendment to the 11/03/2001 minutes made at the start
of the 2/28/2002 meeting. Pointing to the need to archive APPROVED
minutes...)

So, our current equine fatality procedure is as presented below.

It may be argued that a restatement of the procedure as presented in the
current John Parke motion is a step forward.

It may also be argued that, in light of the currently in place and board
approved procedure, it isn't necessary to have another board motion. The
11/03/2001 authorization by the board allows the Vet Committee to refine the
process as needed (..."to make any necessary changes as become
necessary....":)

So, I'd have to ask, what's wrong with the current mechanism (other than
maybe it has not notification stipulation). Why is another motion needed,
and if passed, why would the proposed procedure be better than the current
one.

Rather than a motion, all that is needed is for a refinement of the process
to be made - the consultation between legal/bylaws committee and Executive
Director and vet committee can happen, it doesn't need another board
resolution to make it successful.

john teeter.

===http://www.aerc.org/documents/boardminutes/minutes20011103.htm===

  D. Barnett moved to adopt the Equine Fatality Reporting and Investigation
Procedures and forms as presented and that they be implemented immediately.
Then charge the Veterinary committee to make any necessary changes as become
necessary over the course of using such forms in order to improve the system
Equine Fatality Reporting and Investigation Procedure.

   A) Two weeks prior to the start of an AERC Sanctioned ride, the office
will send a packet that includes a form letter with instructions and
suggestions, copies of the AERC Rules and Vet Handbook, a blank Post Ride
Statistical Report and a Fatality reporting form, to the Head Veterinarian
for the ride. The office will confirm who the Head Vet is and by doing so
can update other records.

   B) If there is a fatality on the ride or related to the ride, then the
reporting form will be completed by the Head Vet and sent to the office
immediately.

   C) The office will start a file on the incident and forward copies of the
Head Vets Report to the Veterinary committee members.

   D) The Veterinary Committee will investigate the incident and report its
findings in writing to the office within 30 days. The committee will make
one of the following recommendations: 1) No irregularities were found and
the fatality could not have been avoided. 2) No irregularities were found
but the committee suggests preventive measures for the future. 3)
Irregularities were found.

   E) If irregularities were found then it is referred to the AERC Executive
Director who will file a protest with the Protest and Grievance committee
for further investigation and disposition.

   F) The office will be provided with copies of all reports and
investigative materials to keep in its files. And will also report the
incident and its outcome to the BOD at their next meeting.

   J. Parke moved to postpone for consideration by the Rules Committee. G.
Williams seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

======= http://www.aerc.org/documents/boardminutes/minutes20011102.htm

R. Eiland moved for committee to add the following wording indicated in
italics to AERC Rule 2.1.8, Equines that are treated or die at rides shall
be reported on a form with ride results to be completed by the ride
veterinarian and submitted with the ride results. This information will be
kept permanently on file at the AERC Office. Motion carried 21 to 2.