[RC] BarHBogie - Sundaez

Well it didn't turn out as I expected, but I the best time thus far at Lynne's new ride Bar H Bogie.

I rode my 6 year old Morgan mare, Tess, whom I've had almost 3 years. It was her first ride.I never thought I would be able to get her to a ride as she has been a bit of a challenge to train. Tess is a combination of show and working lines...sometimes I think she checks her brain out at the door :)

Anyway the ridecamp was DRY and beautiful! I almost didn't even make it because of all the mud on my property. We had some pretty steady rain the week prior. I was surprised when I pulled into camp to see hard packed dirt and very little mud.

After checking in and setting up camp I thought I'd let Tess see a bit of the trails since we hadn't ridden all week. OMG as soon as I mounted I realized someone had stolen my mare and replaced her with a psychohorse <g>! Truly, I didn't recognizee her body with all the little bucks, snorts and a couple rears thrown in! I had been prepared for a bit of a change but not this!! I cut my ride short and seriously debated pulling from the ride.

Next morning however, I couldn't resist and tacked up. The starting line was in camp. I could see the 50's going out from my camp...so could Tess. I thought she was going to meltdown as she saw those horses galloping off. There was sound too to add to the drama...you could hear the galloping hooves on the hardpacked dirt.

I decided to let the 35's start and go before I even dared to mount. Good idea...as when I did she reared and bucked but this time I was ready...did my old reliable one rein stop a cowboy friend taught me. That quickly got her focused and off we went at a blazing pace at a walk. I rode slow with Heidi and Jeanie. Even crossed some water (which had been Tess' bugaboo). Picked up a trot after a few miles and walzed right in to the vet check. Tess was at 52 as I dismounted at the check. All A's. No problem...great ride...piece of cake...I'm planning for  a 50 the next ride.

I mount back up and leave a couple minutes of Heidi and go out alone. No problem, no balking..we are trucking along at a trot when Tess suddenly stops and buckles down in front. She is going down!!! It's happening so fast, I kick out my stirrups but my foot catches and down I go with her, and as she rolls over my leg is under her. The slo-mo thing was happening so it seemd like forever until she rolled up and I got free. My gosh was she crashing???what was wrong???

Fortunately 2 drag riders came by and one rode for help. Tess kept wanting to go down. It was hard to keep her up. Vet arrives...gut sounds ok, pulse normal...everything fine...until she tries to palpate the left hind. Tess is in pain and tries to kick. I guess the was she deals with it is flat out say no more. Smart horse!

We get hauled back to camp. Vets took WONDERFUL care of Tess. Still not sure what is wrong but it was not metabolic. Was eating, drinking and pooping. Not dehydrated. Not tying up. Back at the trailer I tried to groom her and she almost went down again.

So, we didn't get to finish her first ride. I was kinda bummed but very glad she was ok. And I knew the photographer had taken pictures! She did an awesome job, but only one picture didn't turn out. Guess whose it was? Dang....well... no sweatshirt either...and it was really cute.

Whoever said gettinga shirt for an award is not a big deal I will tell you it is when you don't get one!

Despite all this I had a GREAT time. Lynne really knows how to do this. And HUGE thanks yous to all who helped me...I want to write you all privately so please email me if you read this.

Lynne...hope you do this again next year...I'm there!!

Tess is better today. I'm giving bute. She seems a little swollen over the stifle area. Anyone ever have a horse just go down like this? Was very strange. I'm ok too but a bit bruised in the foot and leg.

Melanie Snowhite
Poway, CA.