[RC] distance between VC - Susan Young Casey

I've received a note from the trailmaster for a 100 miler.  The RM has experience riding and managing rides but hasn't competed in recent history.

We've had this discussion before about vet checks ~every 20 miles or less.  I've ridden rides where there was one VC in the middle of a 55 mile ride and that was it.  I hadn't experienced any problems but that was in metaboliclly forgiving environment and this ride is going to be in the rough hills and high heat/humidity.  So, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

The trailmaster says on the 100 miler, there will be an 18 mile loop and the VC in camp.  Then there is the 60 mile loop with 3 VC on trail.  I think I misunderstood her at first.  ALL 3 VC will be on trail.  VC3 will be at mile 54 of this loop.  So it looks like the distance between each VC on the 60 mile loop will be an average of 18 miles.  Then you'll ride 6 miles from VC3 to camp for the next VC.  After the 60 mile loop, there will be 2 more VC in camp.  I'm not for sure, but it sounds like we'd ride an average of 39 miles, have a VC in camp, the ride the last 38 miles with the finish in camp.  I did the math and 18 (first loop) + 60 (second loop) is only 78.  Divide that remaining 78 miles by 2 and you get 39.

For those of you that have ridden 100's are long loops at the end ok or is that a bad practice?

I've obviously got some concerns and want to make a logical argument for adjusting the trail or set my mind at ease.  Thanks for the input!

Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

Do you Yahoo!?