[RC] newbie water and feed question - mary o

I hesitate to ask this question since I am sure it is such a basic question but ….. it is about watering and feeding your horses during and after a ride.  I was always told you should cool your horse off or get your horses heartbeat down before watering or feeding them.  Is this just an old wives tale?  Instead of being obsessed with cooling them down, I have always tried to wait for their respiration to slow down before feeding or watering. I am getting confused now.

Thanks.

Mary