From: Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Endurance riding/racing growing pains

Interesting observation. Up until about 2000 (or was it 2001?)  the FEI
allowed US riders to use AERC miles for their qualifications. For the
average AERC rider, the FEI was below the radar screen. Yes most knew
about it but it didn't impact them in any way shape or form. The after
the magic data, US riders had to qualify riding under FEI rules for
championship ride, Pan Am, WEC, etc.

This required FEI sanctioned rides. These rides were AERC rides that
were co-sanctioned with the USAE and FEI, e.g. the Biltmore, Ft. Howes,
etc. The FEI was no longer below the radar screen and there are some
riders who feel that the FEI rules not only impact the riders that want
(and need) the rides but every rider in the event to the determent of
the the enjoyment of the event. There are a lot of small things, vet
check layout and flow, crew area flow, parking and camping arrangement,
etc. I won't comment on the merits of the complaints - except to point
out that some people do not care for the intrusion of these FEI
requirements on AERC rides.

As measured by the membership of AERC Int. the number that actually care
about international riding is arguably small. The number that actually
need these rides is even smaller ( many AERC Int members don't pursue
international riding - just support it). My last recollection the number
of AERC Int members less than 400 whereas the AERC membership is about
6000. Given these small numbers and the impact some feel, the Fruth
proposal does seem to hold some merit.

However fiat, before this happens I would prefer to see the AERC
establish a committee survey the membership that have ridden these rides
and determine what the impact is and if it is significant, and if it is
significant to work out procedures on how cosanctioned rides work in
this country. After all it is first an AERC sanctioned ride and should
riders with no interest in FEI should not be adversely impacted by the
inclusion of FEI sanctioning? AERC Int ( of which I have been a member
for about 10 years) primary focus is to support the involvement of US
riders in international endurance and I feel that a) their plate is
pretty full and b) there is an inherent conflict with their charter and
this function.

At the end of the day it may turn out that the culture of endurance
riding in the US, being an amateur sport based on the Teddy Roosevelt
tradition of seeing the land on the back of a horse, may not be
compatible what seems to be the current rush by the FEI to distance
racing ( minimal speed that preclude most of anything but flat tracks,
etc. ) supported by UAE money.  FEI style endurance may very well
bifurcate far enough away from AERC style endurance that it shows little
resemblence to endurance as practiced in this country and becomes a
separate sport. But I for one would prefer to see that decision made
based on study, understanding and and maybe a little compromise on both
sides rather than it "just happening" by fiat.

I'm going riding now
Truman

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.