[RC] Daughters head injury on horse - Laurie Durgin

Saturday, my daughter(the hunter rider) was at her new trainers where she is a working student(wants to train horses and be a riding instructor).She was exercising a 17 hand Swedish warmblood at a canter it was chilly, he was being a bit naughty and she had gotten him to round into the canter and thats all she remembers. The people watching says he made a huge buck,(that no rider could have sat, he went straight up and she kept going) They said she somersaulted in the air and landed on her head and tailbone. She must have been knocked out as the next thing she saw was the horse standeing with reins down. She did have her helmet on, cracked the back of it.). She got up and rode 2 more ponies.
Seh got a headache but her main complaints were her back and tailbone hurt. She drove home. Took some painkiller. Wouldn't go to Hospital. Nest day she felt "better" and went to work(barn) rode that day again. Several horses. Felt bad again that night. We told her she needs to lay off and maybe see a dr. She said she felt better just a headache and back sore, so went again to ridethat day. Tue. That evening she came home and had developed a "Twitch" in her shoulder. It increased and her head still hurt. We decided she really neede to go to Emergency room. They did a Ct and x-rays on neck. Triage nurse fussed at her , and said she'd probably be dead without her helmet. They gave her some muscle relaxers and painkiller and said if twitch didn't go away to see a neurologist. It didn't.She "twitches" every 5 seconds or so and it jerks half her body. So we went to neurologist. He ordered a mri stat. We got it and nothing shows up. He gave her some antiseizure meication and painkiller for headache. At this point, she is still "twitching"(I called they said give it a few days to work). and has headache.Also occasionally she slurs a word.Her grip is weak, and she isn't real steady on her feet sometimes. Medication of course complicates this. She is going to get an eeg in 3 weeks(unless they can get her in sooner).
So those of you who pray, do please. I am glad we always insist on helmets. And next time I won't let an 18 year old tell me she is ok , after a hard fall (oh, yeah, she hit the "frozen patch of ground" in the ring.) and not insist she go to the hospital.Silly we worry about insurance and stuff. We are going to have to find her some kind of reasonally priced medical insurance for her , as ours runs out in June .We even thought about how a visit to the emergency room would effect our ability to get it.And she seemed sore, but not serious. We still aren't sure what is going on , whether it is too small to see, or they are missing something.Hopefully rest and the medication will work. She has had several falls, even been flipped over twice with the horse. Funny she quit eventing , because she didn't like those huge solid jumps careened cross country. She likes the "elegance " of hunters more. So it wasn't a solid 4 foot log that got her , but a hard patch in the ring. Laurie, Rascal mom, who is thankful for helmets, but wished she'd been wearing her eventing vest too.