Re: [RC] Dressage saddles for endurance - DESERTRYDR1

I have both the Wintec Endurance and the Dressage Pro, with CAIR panels, and
the changeable gullet, and also the dressage 2000 and the dressage Sport
(older models without CAIR and changeable gullets).  I love dressage saddles,
and I love Wintecs.  BUT I found the Endurance model really set me in a chair
seat, and wasn't very comfortable for me, so I bought the Dressage Pro
equipped the same way.

I feel very centered on my Anglo-Arab mare, and in perfect position to post.
I started my mare under saddle, then as soon as she could handle 45 minutes
under saddle, started taking dressage lessons on her.  It helped both of us
SO MUCH that I strongly recommend it to anyone who does not have a strong
equitation background.  She is a great horse to ride, in part because I know
how to control her at all times, and keep her straight and balanced.

As far as the way the saddle fits, I originally started with her mom, a
purebred Arabian, in a western saddle.  When I found out the saddle didn't
fit, I went without until I found one I liked, and it was the Wintec Dressage
Sport.  After having every saddle I put on her slide up her neck, it was the
first one that didn't move.  I have ridden up and down lots of hills on both
of my girls, and the saddle only slips if I'm not girthed up snug enough.  I
tend to ride with a fairly loose girth, but go up a notch or two for hills.
I think the amount of saddle movement has at least a little to do with the
rider, because my girlfriend and I can ride the same horse in the same
saddle, and I have a lot less movement than she does.  She tends to ride more
crooked than I do, and her horses tend to have more issues with saddle fit
than mine.

I want to comment on back conformation also.  I've noticed that a lot of
horses, especially Arabians, have a cylinder or sausage shaped body, and the
shoulder blades, instead of coming closer together at the top near the
withers, are widely separated.  Even if the horse HAS withers, the overall
shoulder/wither area is very wide, and hard to fit a saddle to.  I think the
laid back shoulder allows the shoulder blades to come closer together at the
top, thus making it easier to fit a saddle to the horse.  Also, while the
shoulder blades should lie smooth against the body, it helps to have a small
pocket behind them, at least in placing the saddle and having it stay there.
While a horse should have well sprung ribs, if they are TOO well sprung, you
get the sausage shaped body.  I think the ideal shape for a cross section of
the torso would be a  teardrop.  I actually like a horse that is somewhat
narrow, but very deep chested.  They still have the room for big heart and
lung capacity, but the shoulder lays flatter against the body, and they are
easier to fit a saddle to.  The narrower horse is also a better radiator,
thus easier to keep cool.  jeri