[RC] Subject: Re: [RC]?? [RC] health & fitness - Deblyons54

From: "Laurie Durgin" <ladurgin@xxxxxxx>

I have been on a concentrated exercise program after breaking L-1 in my spine last August (horse riding "er - falling off" injury). I wish I had been on this regime before my wreck because I would have really minimized coming off. I have been working on a treadmill and elliptical machine for cardio and lower body strengthening, lifting hand weights and working on a gym ball. I have arthritis in my shoulder from being trampled about 20 years ago and the hand weights have made it feel nearly normal. It was difficult to get started but after a couple weeks it started to respond. I started with the gym ball with physical therapy instruction. If you buy one there are a page  of exercises that should come with the ball. It has been great for my balance and riding coordination. The key is to keep your waist level while doing the sitting exercises. It's much more difficult than it seems, especially if you're out of shape. I purchased mine through Physical Therapy at the hospital where I work, but medical supply stores may carry them t oo. They come in different sizes to match your height. When I rode for the first time since my wreck I felt much stronger and better balanced than I had since taking months of Dressage lessons a few years ago. When I was in my 20's I didn't need other exercises to gain muscles strength for riding, except riding. But, in my late 40's my body is very different and much harder to keep in shape. Happy New Year to all. Deb