Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Rascal and the Hackamore - Bonnie Davis

I'd suggest getting a copy of the "Hackamore Reinsman".  It's an excellent
book.  I have a copy but I've loaned it to someone -- maybe they'll give it
back to me someday.  There's also one called the "Army Book of Horsemanship
& Training".  My uncle gave me that  -- he used to training officers' horses
for the US Cavalry.

I'm one of those that doesn't use a different bit on a horse for different
things.  All my horses go in the bit and headstall they have from day one to
the day they die.  I think hands are more important than going from bit to
bit.  The old Spanish Spade was a great training and riding bit but got a
bum rap because it was so 'harsh'.  It was a mean bit in the hands of a
rider who DID NOT know how to use it.

All the horse's I've ridden have been in Sliceter's (not sure of spelling)
with low port, roller.  Mild bit.  Sig went to a hackamore because of wolf
teeth and Flint into a mechanical hackamore because of bars.  If I go into
an arena because I can't ride, I'll use the same bit and check up a little
more to get more of a head set.  I even take my horses and when I can't
ride, I saddle 'em, bit 'em up, pull the reins a little tight so they have
to bring their noses back and down, run reins through side rings on breast
collar and tie 'em around saddle horn, turn loose and let 'em walk in and
out of stall into paddock.  A horse sure learns to tuck his nose and get his
head back and down all by himself so he gets off the bit.  He takes the
pressure off the mouth himself -- not with someone on his back.  I've left
'em bitted up that way for maybe a couple hours while doing something else.

Bridles are a lot like saddles.  I don't think a person has to buy a saddle
for every horse owned.  I've used the same two saddles for 40 years on all
the different horses I've owned.  I believe the padding UNDER the saddle is
just as important as the saddle.  All my saddles are on a modified Quarter
Horse tree.  And as I said, I don't endurance ride so my one saddle weighs
about 65 pounds, the other about 35 pounds.  Both are square skirted and
big -- a bigger saddle spreads weight over a horse's back better and doesn't
concentrate it in just one or two areas.

 Bonnie Davis