Re: [RC] Dressage Saddles for Endurance Riding - MtnRondi

Our family rode in a Stubben Parzival dressage saddle for many years. It did Tevis twice plus a lot of other rides. We loved it. BUT, when I tried to take dressage lessons in it, it just was not giving me the correct seat. I finally purchased a Niedersuss (sp) and had a great position on the horse for my lessons, but on the trail it was a dismal failure. It was deeper than the Stubben and I think the stirrups were hung further back. It was harder to stay light in the saddle on the trail. It was designed to keep the rider deep in the saddle.

Another thing to watch for is that we found that Stubbens tended to be slightly too narrow for our Arabs. We had a 32 centimeter tree which is their wide tree, but it was not wide enough. Also be sure any dressage saddle  you choose has nice wide flat panels for a greater weight bearing surface. Some saddle repair guys stuff the panels too tightly and they don't lay flat on the back and you have a very small weight bearing surface.

I think a nice distance saddle is an All Purpose with a tendency for dressage. It has a little straighter flap and the stirrups are hung further back, but not so much that you couldn't shorten the stirrups and jump in it if you had to.

Bonnie
So. Calif.