[RC] Rascal and the Hackamore - Laurie Durgin

Well we did about 45 min. in ring today(will he stop,or buck with this thing?) was playing in my mind. First off I had to find somethingto put it on. His biothane wouldn't work , I'd have to take noseband off(or have 2), and take his bit off the keepers that snap off(very time consuming). His English leather bridle wouldn't work.Ah , but I use a western headstall on Honey that adjust to fit most horses.So I took her bit off and put the hack on, where I thought it should go and put it on him. ROTFL. The 'hack' came down to his lips,and the noseband was about at his nostrils.So I took the straps all the way up,to where it looked like maybe it should go.(course the bottom edges of the hack go to the bottom of his lips. hhhmmmm."Well the noseband looks like it is in the right place, at least it covers up the Roman bump there and the fleece nicely disguishes it. They may think that dish goes straight instead of bumping back up."(well I am female)
Proceeding to the ring.I gave him a couple ground turns with it on and a few "ho's".So maybe he'd get the idea.("So far ,so good I thought, actually those cheek pieces act like large flat full snaffle pieces and he is used to that.")
I mount(lets try the right side today).I drop reins and go into my JL give to the ???"hack" technique. (well, it works, heck he's a horse, maybe he doesn't know or care).
Then we do some walk, stop.Hey it works, better than yesterday maybe. Then I test with walk, trot, transitions, and a few, ho's. He did much better than yesterday(rubber snaffle then, still got the tooth thing to deal with ,till vet comes out).Even cantered some.(he was lazy, still doesn't like to canter in ring much.Didn't have to use "alot of weight to make him stop, though I gave light pressure only increasing if he didn't listen.But it took less "pressure" than the snaffle did yesterday. Will take some more days in the ring, before I try it on the trail.(told my husband and sons, "if you see him galloping home and me screaming "ho,ho,HO ALPO!!!!!" you'll know it doesn't work as well on the trail.( or maybe I can blackmail, bribe, etc. my daughter and Champ to go out for an hour with me first.(course he moves to her new trainers next weekend, and rain is coming in tomorrow.The things you have to do to get huntseat riders to trailride.:0) Laurie and Rascal("are you sure this is where this funny metal bars go and why do they have those 3 holes in each side?")

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_stopmorespam_3mf