<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Horse/Rider History Books re: PULL CODES
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:28 GMT 2003
  • - Bob Morris
  • - Heidi Smith

    RE: [RC] Horse/Rider History Books re: PULL CODES - Bob Morris

    Jim:

    I disagree with your statement<<< AERC has never "done
    anything" with the info, constructively or
    otherwise...or if they have, they have not "reported" the
    results to the
    membership.  Why should the members care?>>>

    Unbeknownst to the membership of the AERC, there have been
    many hundreds of hours devoted to the problem of acquiring
    and dissemination data about endurance riding. Our greatest
    problem has been the validity of the data the membership
    supplies us with.  An example that best exemplifies the
    problem was the joining with the Arab Registry so that
    endurance riders could look up their horses record and see
    the pedigree and vs., the breeder look up the pedigree and
    see the endurance record. I personally spent over 100 hours
    delving into the records that contained obviously incorrect
    foaling dates, misspelled horse names, incorrect
    registration numbers and the like. I do know that Mike and
    Russ spent equally as much and I would not doubt much more
    time on their parts.

    I can assure you, if the membership does not care then we
    had best pack this thing in and let it go pieces. Just let
    us know and we will pull everything off line and forget it.

    I personally have worked on the AERC data problem for over
    15 years. It is not an easy fight as many members are very
    secretive about any information that might be exposed to the
    public. That is, any information except top placing and
    awards they might receive.

    So, there is work being continuously performed, we are
    trying to get the best of data the membership is willing to
    afford us, we will qualify all reports with a disclaimer to
    the effect that the results are based on the misinformation
    supplied by the AERC Membership.

    Bob

    Bob Morris
    Morris Endurance Enterprises