<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] PULL CODES
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:28 GMT 2003
  • - Kristi Schaaf
  • - Bob Morris

    RE: [RC] PULL CODES - Bob Morris

    POO, POO!

    Happy now?

    Bob

    Bob Morris
    Morris Endurance Enterprises
    Boise, ID

    -----Original Message-----
    From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Steph Teeter
    Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 9:26 AM
    To: Bob Morris; DVeritas@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] PULL CODES

    >>says Bob: Now, you tell me why the membership cannot conform with such a simple thing.  >>

    I think there are two basic reasons.

    1. The human nature factor - For most riders, having your horse pulled from a ride because of lameness or metabolic issues is fairly traumatic. We feel bad for our horse, it's a big disappointment, maybe even embarassment, and it represents some sort of failure. And knowing that your peers will see in the ride results that your horse was pulled and listed as L, or M, is not a cheerful thought.  There are many circumstances where riders will take a marginal horse through a ride in order to get completion, rather than be pulled - even though it may be in the best interest of the horse to call it a day... Completion rate is something people brag about, yet?  Being pulled is something to avoid. Bob can poo poo this all he wants (and I suspect he will :) but it really is a factor.

    If allowing riders an option for a gracefull exit is in the best interest of the horse (the bottom line) then we should do so.

    2.  L or M simply does not always apply -  For statistical purposes it would be much more meaningful if L always meant the same thing "the horse was eliminated due to a grade III lameness".   Or M always meant 'the horse was eliminated do to metabolic dysfunction'. If we include anything less than the this, and include times when the rider thought the horse 'didn't feel right' or even include times when the rider thought 'if I continue, my horse really will be lame' then we are diluting the statistics and they become less meaningful.

    Steph