Biotin shortage?

Went to order some more Biotin-plus and noticed in one of my catalogs (Valley
Vet Supply) an asterisk by all the biotin products, with a footnote saying
that due to a severe biotin shortage anyone interested in these products
should call for a quote on prices.  Uh oh, that didn't sound good.  (I know
it doesn't matter to some people, but to me it's always seemed like if I have
to ask the price, I can't afford it!).
    Then my American Livestock Supply catalog came, and no asterisk by the
biotin products.  Oh good.  Valley Vet must be confused or something.  Called
to order my Biotin-plus and American Livestock told me that that product was
on backorder.  So I asked how long of a delay in getting it did they expect?
Lady on the phone fiddled on her computer a bit, and then said there was no
way to know . . . there was a shortage of this product!  Well, I ordered it
anyway and told them to ship when they had it, but has anyone else heard of
this biotin shortage?  Why would there be a biotin shortage?  That seems
strange.

biotin-less in Great White
Trish